Thursday, September 3, 2009

Tutaonana Nairobi...

A list of lasts that are happening tonight (at least, until the end of November when I come back down country):
- Last night in Nairobi
- Last time to wear pants for a while
- Last time to have running water and thus, a flushing toilet
- Last time to (possibly) eat veggies
- Last night to have a reliable power source for my laptop (and only connection to the "real world")
- Last time to have access to a cell phone

A list of firsts that are happening tomorrow:
- First time to fly on a small plane (I think it's an 8-seater...ish?)
- First time to ever step foot in Korr, a place that the Lord has been preparing me for since last October
- First time to hear Rendille spoken and meet a people I have grown to love without ever meeting in person
- First time to experience first-hand what God is doing in the desert of "Kenya B" (as it is lovingly referred to by the "Kenya A" people - south Kenya vs. north Kenya)

I'm excited, I'm terrified...I think I'm ready. Orientation has been overwhelming at times, but God has made it (yet again) abundantly clear we are completely in His will by being here. Just exactly how long, well...that hasn't been determined yet. But we are trusting that He will provide, just like He always has and will.

A few prayer requests:
- Safe travels tomorrow. The weather has been so temperamental in Nairobi since we've been here...70 degrees and sunny one day, 50s and rainy the next.
- That what the Lord has us bringing to Korr would make it there. (does that even make sense?) The plane tomorrow can only officially take 20kgs of luggage from each of us...I think we have upwards of 200kgs of luggage total. (Before you completely judge us...that's counting school supplies, supplies for us for a year, etc.) Thankfully there was another flight up to Korr yesterday that was able to take a good portion of our stuff, but we still have a decent amount left. I've been triaging my supplies for a few days now...figuring out what I won't need in the next three months, what I definitely need, etc.
- II Corinthians 5:7 - "For we walk by faith not by sight" has become true reality for us. We still don't know what we're teaching, or when school starts. Really the only details we know about the next four months is that we have a retreat in Kijabe November 27-December 1 that we'll probably go to. Other than that, we have no idea what our time will look like. Pray that we would trust God with ALL of the details - which really, isn't hard right now because we don't have any other choice :)
- Finally, for the new relationships that will be forming over the next few days - with the other missionaries, with the teachers in school, with our students, and with people in Korr.

Your prayers and support are SO appreciated. Please, please don't hesitate to call or email me - I would LOVE to hear what's going on in all of your lives! It's like having a piece of home with us here in Kenya...seriously. Call and leave me a voice mail if I don't answer, email me, facebook me, whatever. I will do my absolute best to respond to you as soon as I can :)

4 comments:

  1. Jamie, I AM SOOOO EXCITED for you and Alicia! Seriously, when a Rendille talks to you, answer with Nebey (neh-BAY), they'll be SO impressed! I'll be praying for you lots and lots! Looking forward to updates! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for a safe flight - looking forward to hearing all your updates from Korr!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHOOOOP!!!! Um, I just remembered (by reading this) that you're coming to Kijabe in December!! You can see my home!!! And I'll make you a loquat pie that will CHANGE YOUR LIFE FOREVER! And I'll show you all of my favorite monkeys that eat off my loquat tree every morning, and I'll show you my classroom, and I'll let you use a flushing toilet, even though I never flush it. The toilets are actually one of my favorite things here - you can just dump water in straight into the toiletbowl to flush it! That way you can use dirty showerwater to flush instead of using new water. AMAZING.
    Anyways, all of this to say, I'm praying for you and Alicia, and your work in Korr, and I can't wait to meet up in a couple months (God willing) and compare experiences and talk about how much we love living in Africa :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie - we have never offically met, but I know your mom. I am a parent at Birkes and heard many, many wonderful things about you. I have been following your blog since your mom sent it out. I am so touched and amazed by your faith and willingness to serve. You are truly an amazing woman! And with the power and love of God behind you I am sure you are going to do wonderful things in Korr. You and Alicia are in my prayers for strength and wisdom. May God bless you and keep. Darla King

    ReplyDelete