Friday, October 16, 2009

What's in a clan?

I’ve been given a new name. An African name, to be exact.

You ready for this?

From now on, you may refer to me as Siberyan Labarakwe.

Some of you are probably thinking, 'Yes, Jamie. We KNOW you’ve been given a Rendille name. Siberyan. What else is new?'

Yes. But NOW I have a last name too!

Because I’VE BEEN ADOPTED BY A RENDILLE CLAN!

The Rendille tribe is further broken down into eight clans. I could try and name them all for you, but I don’t know them all yet.

BUT…I do know one clan name. Roongummo.

MY clan.

For six weeks now Alicia and I have just been wazungu here in Korr– two crazy white girls who can’t really speak the language that are here to teach. Which would seem like enough, but here it’s not. The Rendille culture is one that strongly identifies with family. Your clan is your extended family…the ones you can always count on. It’s a HUGE part of your identity! People have asked us many times: “Ati a goobah?” (What clan are you?) We have never had answers…until now.

Amina, our Rendille language teacher, adopted me on Friday into her family. Her last name is Labarakwe – which is now my Rendille last name too! Alicia was adopted earlier in the day by Nariyo, a woman from our church. She’s now a Dubsahai.

“Ani a Roongummo!” I now proudly say. This elicits multiple responses from many people – especially other Roongummo clan members!

Rendille relations get confusing after that. Amina is my Rendille mother, but everybody else seems to skip cousin and aunt or uncle and just go to brother and sister. I now have dozens of new brothers and sisters....AND. Guess who I'm now related to!


KHASSO!

Then, some people technically have TWO clans - they were born into one but married into another. Alicia and I sat down and tried to figure out if we're now related through our Rendille families. Nick is a Salle (another clan) but Lynne is a Roongummo - she's my sister. Alicia's Rendille mama Nariyo was born a Salle but married into Dubsahai. Nick is Nariyo's "father" (not really) and therefore Alicia's grandfather. (Confused yet?) But because Lynne is married to Nick and Lynne is my "sister," I am now...

Alicia's great-aunt.

Ridiculous.

2 comments:

  1. CRACKS! ME! UP!!!! I love it! Even on my LAST DAY in Korr, I made a "Oooooh, you mean so-and-so is related to so-and-so.... oooooooooh!" Rendille connections are cah-RAZY!

    Something about "I am my own grandpa..." comes to mind! So hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha I enjoyed this. I love that picture too.

    ReplyDelete