Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Travel Diary, Take 1


Monday, 4:30 PM: Another tearful goodbye at the Houston airport with my mom and sister. I'm terrible at goodbyes.

5:30 PM: Watch my last Texas sunset for a while as I wait to board the plane. No telling when I'll be back to witness another...

6:30 PM: Plane taxis down the runway and off to Dubai I go. Another long flight...15 hours to be exact. Somehow I manage to sit between the two loudest snorers on the aircraft. Awesome. I didn't really want to sleep anyway...riiiight.

Tuesday, 7:30 PM Dubai time: Lost an entire day in the air and the Dubai airport, while stunningly beautiful, is terribly confusing. Everything is in Arabic. Flying Emirates back to Kenya was the cheapest choice, but it has certainly been an experience. Everything is in Arabic first, then English - the captain would come over the loudspeaker, speak for 5 minutes in Arabic and then say 3 sentences in English. Something's getting lost in translation here...
I somehow make it to Customs and then pick up all of my luggage.

8:30 PM: Arrive at the hotel. Plus for flying Emirates: they put you up for free overnight in Dubai. With free food! Dubai is 10 hours ahead of Houston, and after being stuck between Sleepy #1 and Sleepy #2, I'm a wee bit tired. They have some delicious-smelling if strange-looking Middle Eastern food at the buffet for dinner, but my severely sleep-deprived brain is not in a place where I can handle "trying new things." I had a slice of watermelon and half of a baked potato instead. How...filling?

11:45 PM: Collapse into bed after showering and talking to my mom. I hate jet lag, because...

Wednesday, 4:45 AM: I'm officially up for the day.

7:30 AM: On my way to the airport. I see the Burj Khalifa tower through the bus window - it's kind of impossible to miss. Here's a grainy picture I took from the airport (the window had stuff all over it and you can see the reflection of the inside of the airport, but hey, it proves I saw it!):


9:30 AM: Enjoy my last cup of Starbucks coffee for a while as I take advantage of Dubai's free wifi. Seriously, nicest airport ever - so open and airy. Oh, and the five star restaurants and gardens every 15 feet don't hurt either. Only downside: Dubai is EXPENSIVE. A Time magazine would've cost me $15, and I paid $5 for a grande Starbucks latte...

10:45 AM: Plane is supposed to be taking off, but we have to wait for a flight from Delhi to arrive because half of our plane is on that flight. 65 Indian men come streaming on to our plane, and who manages to sit by me? The loudest snorer EVER. Seriously...I could hear this guy over my ipod. How does this even HAPPEN two flights in a row?

3:30 PM: KENYA! Customs is a breeze - I proudly showed the guy my multi-entry visa (I'm a resident now! Was fingerprinted and everything) and walked right out into the waiting area! George from Mayfield Guest House was there to pick me up. He points out the giraffes and zebras on the side of the road as we leave Kenyatta airport. NBD.

The drive to Mayfield is just as I remember Kenya being. Lanes are merely a suggestion - really, all traffic laws are. Anytime traffic stops there are men and women looking to sell you anything - and I mean ANYTHING - through your car window. Want fruit? Flowers? Flags of the world? Lamps? Hair nets? No need to worry - you can buy them while you wait in a traffic jam! I even saw a guy selling pillows. They were the same Ikea pattern that I have on my bed in Houston. Only in Africa...

They recently installed traffic lights in Nairobi. For anybody who's ever been on the road in Africa, you know how laughable this is. I asked George if people actually used the traffic lights. His response? "Well, when the police are there we do!" He tells me this as he maneuvers the bus onto the sidewalk to act as another lane of traffic. It doesn't even faze me anymore. We turn onto Ngong Road and while there is only one official lane of traffic, there are two lanes driving: one where there is supposed to be a lane, and another in oncoming traffic. Oh Africa.

We arrive back at Mayfield just in time to meet Ruth. RUTH! She's just arrived in Nairobi Tuesday and we're flying up to Korr on Friday. Ruth is joining Alicia, Claire, and me up in Korr to teach at the secondary school. FOUR SHORT TERM VOLUNTEERS! This seriously unheard of.

5:00 PM: I fall into bed for a quick nap before dinner.

It's good to be back.

2 comments:

  1. Your road trip stories trump mine....we stopped at Graceland for a quick photo in freezing temp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha, i LOVE reading your blog (even though i'm a little late on the uptake)... Africa sounds way too much like India!

    ReplyDelete